Monday, July 27, 2009

Desi Winner - 1 The Remarkable Story of SPV

Please read the Preamble to this blog...

Today, I am going to talk about SPV, a very dear person to me. He is the most recent person where I had the opportunity to play a very small role in his success journey so far.

I call him SPV in this blog, as he is a success in progress. Of course, success is not a destination for anyone. There is no "arrival" when you talk success. Success is a continuous process and varies from person to person. Having said that, as SPV is just starting his journey, I choose to use abbreviated name. Through this blog, we will take time to revisit his success a year from now, as he progresses in his journey. We will also meet him one of these days through this blog.

Five years ago, on a Deepavali day, I believe a very shocking incident did happen for a reason - the arrest of this renowned Swamiji I revere so much happened for a cause, however small that reason may be and however big price paid for that. It is God's plan. But for that incident, I would not have known SPV. Upon this revered Swamji's arrest, we had an online forum spearheading the movement against his arrest. A few months into our movement, an active member of the forum had posted a message that has no relevance to that forum but she chose to post it there. All she mentioned in that post was that a brilliant student needs financial support for his higher studies. And she gave the student's phone number. I have never met this member before nor I heard about her after that. Out of 1000s of members, I believe God chose me; the divine power propelled me to act immediately without procrastination. I swiftly contacted SPV's mom and rest is history. The moral of the story is "Recognize the thin thread in any window of opportunity. Success is nothing but opportunity and preparedness meeting each other" So, when opportunity knocks at your door, recognize it and grab it. My dream has always been supporting at least 1000 students in their higher education. As I was mentally prepared to help someone already, when the opportunity came, I could recognize it. I had a mental picture of my dream. IDENTIFY AND DRAW A MENTAL PICTURE OF YOUR DREAM.

The first couple of years, I had not met SPV at all. All our interactions were over phone. We did not think of putting a face to our names. He did not have Internet connection at home so we did not chat or web cam ourselves to introduce to each other.

I have never asked for, but he was very accountable for the money I sent. He would voluntarily keep me posted of his progress in studies. He was indirectly reassuring me on how the money I invest in his studies is being put to the best use. Finally, the day came for me to meet him in person. It was in 2007, I met SPV, his mom and sister for the first time when I visited India on business. My wife and daughter had also accompanied me. His father had gone out on job - his autorickshaw job. It was raining heavily in Chennai during that August. As our car entered the street where SPV's house was, we were stunned to see a sea of water. We pulled our car in front of his house and we slowly waded through the water to enter his house. It was a great feeling of entering a home. The home had a lady that respects her husband. Children that look upon their parents as heroes. It was a sweet home. We had a great feeling filling our minds. We exchanged pleasantries. One of my life mentors, a successful lady, said on stage recently "In a house, the man expects respect; the woman expects love. When the spouses get these from each other in abundance, their children look upon them as their heroes. And, the house becomes a harmonious home". We felt we entered a home that day - a harmonious home, indeed!

Personally, those 90 minutes I spent at their home are most cherished ones in my life. His mom, his sister and SPV were so excited to have us. SPV's mom was embodiment of excitement. SPV is what today because of the good values that lady has instilled in him. I have learnt about the power of affirmation and recognition from the book Five Love Languages. They help building confidence and self image. One gets motivated to do more. Also, others are also motivated to emulate you. We heard from SPV's mom all good stories about SPV. How focused person SPV is and how he would achieve great things in live. As we heard these powerful words of edification from his mom on her son, I was so excited. My wife and my daughter were thrilled, too as they understand the power of edification and recognition. I don't say we are perfect family. We can not be perfect. All we want is excellence. And, we are in the process of achieving excellence in what we do. By the grace of God, my wife Jaishree, my daughter and I will achieve what we want to achieve. Now, let me take back you to SPV's home. When we were about to leave, I gave SPV a copy of Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki. I also gave him a pricey scientific calculator. My wife gave some gifts to his sister. Of the two gifts I gave SPV, he was more excited about the book. The material thing of calculator did not make any impact. But he was thrilled by that book as gift. I could recognize immediately that he understands the power of reading books. When I talk about books, I mean good positive mental attitude books. Because, such books talk to you what other fellow human beings would hesitate to tell you even if it was your mentor. Books help grow you from inside out. My mentor teaches "You are what your association is and what books you read".

This is a wonderful video on power of association worth watching:



When we finally took leave from SPV's home on that day, it was a mixed feeling of joy and happiness. The following month, I received a mail from him - again on his own. It was a report on the book Rich Dad Poor Dad I gave him.

He writes,

"From:SPV
Sent: Friday, September 21, 2007 11:06 PM
Subject: hi

hello sir,

I consider the day when i started reading the book Rich dad and Poor dad as a turning point in my life. Its the transition state for me. Its obvious from my activities itself. I could feel my self. My way of thinking and approaching itself has taken a different path which is more suitable and adaptable in acheiving my goals.

It was only after reading the book, i understood the potential of mind and myself. Until that i was never aware of what i can do and cannot. But now clearly i had made up my mind completely and am all set for the race.

I had set my long term goals and also the various short term goals to achieve it. My dream run is to set up a company of my own at my mid 20's. I know it will be a very difficult plan to succeed with the commitments that i have got to fulfil once when i set to go for a job. But still i will make it happen. I have got some plans to do that.

And one happy news for me, probably even for you sir, i earned Rs.1800 as my first payout and have taken a health insurance for my mom," <
sister's name> "and myself which is worth a lakh premium from star health insurance and the yearly payment for that is Rs.1830/-

***
[edited]
As a first step, i have sorted some plans till the year end of 2008. I am damn sure that i will be fulfilling it without a single miss.

*** [edited]
So i need your blessings and guidance all the way throughout this and i am sure i will be successful sir.

with love,"

I write this article on SPV with pride because, he recently graduated as brand new Computer Engineer and has an aggregate close to 80% marks in his BE degree. He may have missed his 80% target by whiskers. But, he has also been selected by one of India's top IT company in their campus interview. He would commence his job anytime later this year should he choose to take up that offer. I say "if he chooses to" because by the time he graduated, he has already established himself as an entrepreneur having a steady stream of income from his business. He is in the verge of employing other people. Besides, he is already a philanthropist himself. He along with his friends has already started duplicating the power of helping. He proudly says, "Uncle, now I am able to provide financial help to a student from my own earnings".

I read about the power of giving in the book "Go Giver". It is a great book.

THE MORAL OF STORY IS MAKE USE OF OPPORTUNITY, DUPLICATE YOUR SUCCESS, BE A GIVER, CREATE CHOICES IN LIFE, SET GOALS, VISUALIZE YOUR GOALS, WORK TOWARDS ACHIEVING YOUR GOALS THROUGH UNSWERVING DISCIPLINE.

My mentor often says "Dream plus Discipline equals Success". How true it is SPV's case!

Did he walk through a bed of roses? When you read above about his present status some of you may think he got lucky. Never. He had a life full of events. He got lucky as he chalked out his plans, put in his best efforts, demonstrated unswerving work ethic, and kept his head high with a "It ain't over till it is over" attitude.

Let me walk you through his journey in the last 4 years since I have known him. In my opinion, SPV is demonstrating an exemplary maturity that defies his age. As older of the two children, today I see SPV taking ownership of the family and leading it as a true leader. SPV's father as an auto rickshaw driver, spends his whole day in scorching sun of Chennai and the busy stressful traffic. As SPV was busy preparing for his 12th grade exams about to commence in couple of weeks, his father had a severe heart attack. He had to undergo open heart surgery. Anyone from India knows how important 12th grade exam is in a person's career. His mom, who worked as administrative assistant in a company had to give that up to be with her husband who was bed ridden. With both the income stopped, the family found itself in a serious financial challenge. All their savings went into treating SPV's father. But, SPV is undeterred. With his mom constantly encouraging him, he kept his focus on his 12th exams. He knew what kind of responsibility he has to shoulder. He wrote the challenging 12th grade exams. He scored close to 95%. During his college days, he had fresh doses of challenges, too. His sister ran into some health challenge just before his semester exams. He sent the scan reports for me to seek opinion here locally. By the grace of God, everything turned out to be normal. While his sister came through this health challenge, he had to write his semester exams. When the results for that semester were out, he scored 85%. It shows how determined he is in his success path. Then came his own health challenges. His father's cataract operation was another challenge he passed through. Remember, if his ailing father stops driving autorickshaw, SPV's family loses the income. The income for their basic survival. His mom does freelance cooking here and there. I am sure, it is not a great income. But, nothing shakes SPV. He has is eyes set on his target. He goes for that and achieves it no matter what. If I were to write about each of his challenges in the last 4 years, it will take days to cover. I am also privy to some of his challenges and how he successfully overcame those. But, on the whole the path was not flowery. It is his discipline and commitment that took him this far in achieving what he wants to achieve.

With every milestone of his success, SPV demonstrates great humility and humbleness. he writes to me:
From: SPV
Sent: Thursday, February 15, 2007 1:04 PM
Subject: hi

hello sir,
Am really grateful to you sir. Because without you i would not have been able to achieve this. So you are behind my success. Am sure soon i will also make you proud and am trying my level best to do the same.
I assure that i will head towards the correct path with the guide light from you. I have note down your number sir.......
with love,
My mentor always tells gratefulness is the biggest virtue of success. As I observe, my mentor always thanks his mentors and credits them for his success. So, when I see this virtue in SPV automatically manifesting in him, I am really proud. With humbleness comes willingness to counsel and learn. There is no MBA attitude in him. I mean "Muje Bahoot Aatha hai":-). My mentor says willingness to learn, listen and acting upon the counseling are other key attributes for success. There are countless occasions, SPV calls me, chats with me or writes to me sharing his challenges and what he should do to handle the same. It is not that he does not know how to handle. But, he counsels so that he does not have a blind spot. After we discuss on a specific challenge, he often tells me, "uncle I got altogether a different perspective. It opens my eyes." Don't get me wrong. It is not about me. But it is about the power of mentorship. He does not choose to counsel with person at his level. He counsels with persons where he sees himself down the line. He counsels with persons who he wants to emulate. Napoleon Hill calls this counselling as "Master Mind Alliance" in his famous book Think and Grow Rich. The moral here is COUNSEL. AND, COUNSEL WITH PEOPLE WHO YOU HAVE CHOSEN AS YOUR MENTOR. A MENTOR IS SOMEONE WHO HAS VESTED INTEREST IN YOUR SUCCESS. THE MENTOR IS SOMEONE WHO YOU WANT TO BECOME AND NOT AS BROKE AS YOU ARE. YOUR MENTOR IS A "HAS BEEN THERE DONE THAT" PEROSN. Here is a powerful video on mentorship.




I strongly believe, facing similar challenges what SPV faced in the last 4 years, ordinary people would succumb and embark on failure path. Might get onto a road full of self fulfilling prophesies justifying their failures. They take a basket full of popcorn and start watching their own failure in their mental picture without understanding what they attract. But SPV is not made of that fiber. He is a winner par exellence. By the Grace of God, he is not cowed by any challenges. The moral I touch upon here is Law of Attraction which is very powerful. You say and mentally attract what you want and do not say or attract what you don't want. Listen to yet another wonderful teaching on Law of Attraction:





As you would observe here, another exemplary character SPV demonstrates is the "never compromise or being complacent" attitude with high self confidence and self image. He writes to me:

From:SPV
Sent: Wednesday, July 25, 2007 8:17 AM
Subject: hi
I got my results now which i have got an aggregate of 80.5% as my overall sir. I was not happy with my marks in which i deserve some 4 to 5% of marks. Am not happy with the way they have evaulated my papers. So marks came down to 78% for the previous sem. Am in a plan to go for revaluation for some papers. Because i know that i have done well in those.
with love,
Recently, I saw his twitter message. He states that he has set himself a goal of earning $150 for that week through his freelance work using the power of Internet. And, he told me on chat that he did achieve that goal and he has now set himself a weekly $250 earnings sitting in India.

SPV has faced many challenges in his path. He may face more. I pray he does not face any more challenges. But, challenges come to him not because it is SPV but because of the fact life happens. It does not matter for him in his march towards achieving the goals he set for himself.

My mentor says, success is a planned event. In order to succeed, a person takes a series of decisions in the course of time that sets them on the path of success. As weeds grow automatically in an untended land, failure is automatic. But, success takes effort. With the kind of well defined dreams, work ethic, commitment, accountability, SPV is destined to impact many lives in this world positively. We will hear more success stories from him in the days to come.

I also learn from SPV as he marches past. Let us all learn from SPV.

See you next Monday with the great story of this Desi Winner - PR - a remarkable girl who is another success in progress I am amazed at.

Keep Chargin'

With love,
Kalyan

1 comment:

  1. Dear Kalyan,

    Though we come across so many such stories not everyone gets a chance to take the next step to help deserving people like SPV and not all SPV's get somebody to help them. I'm glad you were chosen by the almighty to change this kid's life and I sincerely believe he replicates your deed to many more deserving kids and make you proud. Keep us updated on SPV's progress.

    Lucky

    ReplyDelete